Did a Group of San Diego Police Officers Get Away With Multiple Murders?: The Story of Donna Gentile and Cynthia Maine


I’ve been captivated by this one for a while. It’s a shocking saga that exposes a lot of corruption in law enforcement and I’ve never seen it discussed on Reddit, so I figured it warranted a write-up. This is extremely long (I like to go super in depth and include as many details as possible), but it’s worth the read IMO so check it out when you’ve got some spare time. Feel free to skip straight ahead to Donna and Cindy’s murders if you’re in a rush or aren’t interested in the background info.

Background In the mid to late 1980’s, there was an alarming amount of women being murdered in the western states. The Green River Killer, Southside Slayer, and Night Stalker dominated all of the headlines. But through it all, a similar pattern was quietly unfolding in San Diego and receiving almost no media coverage outside of the city.

The string of cases involving missing and murdered women in San Diego during this time period grew to around 43 total, most of which were what law enforcement called “fringe women” – meaning women who were prostitutes, addicts, exotic dancers, homeless, or involved with biker gangs. Detectives still do not know exactly how many perpetrators were involved in all of these slayings and disappearances. In the following years, police hypothesized that an ex-marine named Ronald Elliot Porter (who was already in prison for another murder) was responsible for approximately thirteen of the murders, though he has never been formally charged with them. Another three murders are believed to have been the work of Blake Raymond Taylor who was also already in prison for murder – and just like Porter, has never been formally charged with the suspected slayings. Around nine further cases were solved and lead to the convictions of multiple individual murderers, none of which with any apparent connections to the other San Diego murders. The remaining 17+ murders/disappearances are still considered unsolved. Today I want to tell you guys about two of these women – Donna Gentile and Cynthia Maine – who I firmly believe were not murdered by johns, pimps, or an elusive serial killer, but were in fact killed by the San Diego police officers themselves.

The Complicated Relationships between the Prostitutes and the Police:

To start, it’s important to go over the sometimes hostile – yet often co-dependent – relationship that many members of the San Diego police force had with local prostitutes during this timeframe. One disturbing note is that when police would talk to one another about reported disappearances, murders, or assaults involving prostitutes, they referred to them as “NHI cases” – which stood for “No Humans Involved”. So publicly, police made it quite clear that they didn’t see prostitutes as human beings and had no interest in them or their problems. But for many of these officers, what they did privately was a very different story.

These cops’ main mission was supposed to be clearing the girls from the streets in the hopes they’d give up and move on to bother some other city. They were instructed to arrest for any infraction they could, be it loitering, suspicion of being under the influence, or even just jaywalking – because the more they had behind bars, the less would be out on the street.

With the same group of police officers arresting the same local prostitutes again and again on a daily basis, they eventually got to know each other fairly well. This lead to mixed results, most being quite sketchy and corrupt. Many of the girls reported being sexually extorted on a daily basis, knowing that when a police car pulled up they would be obligated to service the officers if they wanted to continue working that night without going to jail. Personal relationships – both platonic and romantic – developed between several officers and prostitutes. Business arrangements began too, with cops getting in on the action and helping to pimp out these women.

The most dangerous dynamic was the informant arrangements. Immediately after arresting the women, they would be given the options to either go to jail or become an informant. Rather than trying to help these women get out of the lifestyle, officers encouraged them to continue engaging in drug use and prostitution, so long as they agreed to wear a wire and record their interactions with the drug dealers, biker gang boyfriends, johns, pimps, and anybody else that the police may have wanted to lock up. It does not appear that police provided these women with any kind of security measures or even regular checks on their well-being, which could have possibly lead to some of the murders if the targets of the investigations found out. That said, I personally believe the police department’s culpability goes even deeper than that.

First Reported Misconduct Case

In the late 70’s and early 80’s, Sergeant Robert “Bullet Bob” Hannibal was a highly respected San Diego police officer. He had several other cops in the family, including his older cousin Al Quick who retired from the force a few years prior. As an undercover agent in the Narcotics unit, Hannibal put away several high level drug dealers. He was then transferred to Vice where his efforts helped to drive out the local massage parlors, causing practically all prostitution in the city to be done via outcall operations and street walking. He also participated in the informant scheme, luring prostitutes to motel rooms then showing his badge and giving them the options to either be arrested or flip on their pimps and dealers.

Hannibal had taken a particular liking to a specific prostitute-turned-informant named Christine Cole and the two continued meeting even after Hannibal was transferred from Vice to Intelligence. Vice officers had some reservations about a now-unaffiliated detective still spending time with a Vice informant, but his superiors allowed it to continue as they believed Christine told him more than she’d tell other officers.

Hannibal claims his end goal with Christine was to put away Bruce Compton, a man who was running fronts and credit card transactions for multiple local outcall services (and would in the end only be convicted of mail fraud which landed him just six months behind bars). In order for Christine to meet with Compton and record illegal activity, she needed an outcall service to recruit his help for. Hannibal gave her the money to start her agencies. Some were fairly transparent and others were hidden under fronts. The two of them started three prostitution agencies in all: Fantasy Outcall, California Fantasy Fashions, and California Fantasy Lingerie. He later involved his retired motorcycle cop cousin Al Quick in the arrangement, which was supposed to be a fake callgirl company but quickly developed into the real thing as time went on. The men ran the prostitution ring with Christine in a three-way partnership, hand-picking the prostitutes they’d employee, transporting them to johns, and profiting off of the outcalls. Quick allegedly had sex with several of the girls, and Hannibal admitted to sleeping with at least one of them as well.

When a neighbor of Christine submitted a tip that a rogue cop was running a prostitution ring, Hannibal – who helped work the case – framed one of their competing outcall companies in an effort to shield he and Quick’s operation from the investigation. Vice became suspicious around this time and began trailing Christine which resulted in them catching Hannibal and Quick red handed, in addition to spotting Christine at a bar being affectionate with San Diego County Supervisor Paul Eckert, who lost his re-election campaign after the embarrassing publicity that followed.

Hannibal was fired from the police department after he, Quick, and Christine were initially indicted for pimping, pandering, and obstruction of justice. They took a deal, pleading guilty to the obstruction of justice charge and each serving one year in prison.

It was this case that made the Internal Affairs bureau first begin to have concerns about the troubling dynamic between the San Diego police force and the city’s sex workers.

Donna Gentile:

Donna Gentile was a young woman living in San Diego alone while the rest of her family resided in Pennsylvania. She had dreams of working in law enforcement, though her impoverished living conditions had forced her into prostitution in late 1980. In February 1981, she met Officer Larry Avrech of the San Diego Police Department. She told him about her dreams of working in law enforcement, so he invited her for a civilian ride-along, which was approved by the department. After their day together on the job, Avrech drove her home and the two had consensual sex. Avrech maintains he had no idea she engaged in sex work at the time, nor did the department when they approved her request to ride along with him.

For the next two years, Donna worked as a security guard, was not involved in any prostitution or crime, and lived with her work supervisor whom she had fallen in love with. When they broke up in 1984 and she no longer had a place to stay, she returned to prostitution out of desperation and racked up three arrests, which were dropped to lesser charges after she agreed to help as an informant.

Later that year, Donna was caught in a Vice sting that was supervised by Lieutenant Carl Black and included Officer Larry Avrech, who she had spent time with several years prior. She described Lt Black as being sympathetic and kind to her but she could not say the same for Avrech who allegedly prepositioned her for sex as soon as he had her alone. Donna claimed he said he’d go easier on her if she gave him what he wanted so she did and they had sex. She also claimed Avrech continued approaching her and extorting sex from her for months after. So long as she was giving into Avrech, he would tip her off to upcoming Vice raids.

During this time period, Lt Black took an interest in her as well. “He treated me real nice, like a friend and never like a prostitute,” Donna said, “He said he wanted to watch after me and help me get off the streets”. Lt Black helped her pay her bail bond and legal fees in addition to contacting her probation department to ask them for leniency. He also introduced Donna to his girlfriend and several of his close friends. When Black and his girlfriend planned a four-day vacation to the Colorado River with two other police sergeants and their significant others, they invited Donna to come along. She said they “had fun and water skied” – and that the other officers did not know she was ever involved in prostitution, so it was refreshing for her to feel “normal” and respected. Avrech later learned of the trip and of she and Lt Black’s friendship, which Donna says he used to blackmail her. He told her that if she didn’t keep giving him what he wanted, he would report what he knew to his superiors which would get Lt Black fired and charged with a crime. “I liked the Lieutenant and didn’t want to see his career harmed because of me,” Donna explained. Eventually, she said she began rejecting Avrech’s constant extortion attempts and told him she didn’t want to see him anymore and didn’t care who he told. In a last ditch effort to get more sexual favors from her, he allegedly approached her with a $50 bill and a signed letter requesting leniency to the judge presiding over her case. She still said no and told him to leave. She recalled that he didn’t take it well and began harassing and threatening her on a regular basis.

By August of 1984, she was fed up with his behavior and finally went to his superior Sergeant Harold Goudarzi to report that one of his officers was harassing, threatening, and extorting sex from her. He reluctantly forwarded her complaints to Internal Affairs, where they were taken fairly seriously because of the Hannibal/Quick saga that occurred shortly beforehand. They told her if she would be an informant and record Avrech’s harassment and threats, they would investigate him and hold him accountable, so she did it. When IAB questioned Avrech, he attempted to divert the focus to Lt Black and the vacation he brought her on, so a separate investigation of Lt Black was opened as well. Around the time that Avrech and Black became aware of the investigations, Donna alleges that several other members of the San Diego police force began harassing her on a regular basis. They followed her home often, parking outside of her house and waiting for any excuse to hassle her. She was given almost 20 citations in a short timeframe, some just within hours of one another, all for petty things like flicking cigarettes out on the ground and parking too close to a curb. They would even use timers to measure how long she stopped at stop signs, arresting her if she was just seconds below the minimum time. Some of the officers made threats, which Donna’s friends believe were intense enough to make her fear for her safety.

The Internal Affairs investigations of both officers continued until March of 1985, resulting in suspensions for both men. It is around the same time that Donna again went to the police to formally report the continuing harassment. She stated that in addition to Avrech, there were multiple other San Diego East County police officers tormenting her, and she was able to list the names of seven of them. The officers listed in her report were Michael Blakely, Curtis Meyer, Richard Draper, Robert Candland, Frank Christensen, James Brook, and Jeffrey Dean.

The civil service hearings for Avrech and Black were set to occur shortly after. Donna was called to the stand at Avrech’s and called a “liar, troublemaker, and known complainer” by Avrech’s former superior Sergeant Harold Goudarzi. It was decided that Avrech did violate police Department policies and would be fired, however he would face no criminal charges and would not be punished for the alleged sexual misconduct. Black’s hearing was scheduled two weeks after Avrech’s and resulted in him also facing no criminal charges but only being demoted instead of fired. Donna was supposed to be a witness in this hearing as well but she did not attend because on June 23 1985, a little over a week after Avrech’s hearing and just two days before Black’s, Donna was found murdered in a ravine off of Sunrise Highway about 40 miles east of San Diego.

Her body was found hidden under brush and tree branches, naked with her clothes methodically cut off of her body. The medical examiner believed that she had been murdered approximately 24 hours before she was found. She had been severely beaten, then strangled to death. Gravel had been forced into her mouth and “tamped” down her throat by a foreign object, with some of it making it’s way into her airways – showing that she was alive and breathing when this occurred. The autopsy listed her cause of death as “manual strangulation and airway obstruction by foreign material”.

Because her body was outside of the city, the investigation fell to the San Diego Sherriff’s Department rather than the San DiegoPolice Department that she had been harassed by. A veteran homicide detective named Thomas Steed was assigned lead investigator. The day after Donna’s body was found, Steed reports that a member of the San Diego Police Department arrived at Steed’s office and asked him if he “knew who he had back there” (referring to Donna’s body), then told Steed “that he was in a lot of trouble and this would be the end of his career”. The officer identified himself as Robert Candland, who Steed later learned was one of the officers Donna reported for harassment before her death. Candland was not the only one hostile to Steed’s investigation. Pretty much every time he contacted the San Diego PD asking for information or records, he was ignored or told to “take his request to Internal Affairs”. There was only one problem: the man now in charge of Internal Affairs was Sergeant Harold Goudarzi, the former superior and close friend of Avrech who publicly insulted Donna at the hearing just a week before her death. Predictability, Internal Affairs was as unhelpful as the local PD, refusing to even send over her arrest reports or lists of her regular clients. Eventually, whenever Steed called officers, they would tell him that their supervisors ordered them not to speak to him under any circumstances. The few that did speak to him had to do so secretly in meetings arranged by phone so as not to alert any other officers on their radios.

Soon after, a witness came forward and told Steed she was positive that she overheard two men planning Donna’s murder. She stated that a man in what appeared to be an unmarked police car picked her up on El Cajon Blvd and drove her to a motel where he paid her for sex. When he removed his pants, she noticed that he placed a police badge on the nightstand along with his belt. When they were finished, he left her in the bed and she either laid down or watched tv while he made some phone calls. Soon after, a second man arrived at the motel room and they slipped away to have a hushed private conversation. She was able to overhear bits of it and was certain that they were talking about murdering a prostitute and making it look like a “sex date gone wrong”. She was briefly fearful for her life before she heard the men use a name to refer to their victim, and to her relief it was Donna’s, not hers. Steed showed her several police yearbooks to see if she recognized any of the officers inside as the men she heard planning the murder. After scrolling through many pages, she finally spotted one, pointing at a photo of Lieutenant Carl Black and identifying him as the second man who arrived after their transaction. It took several more dated yearbooks before she finally recognized another one. “That’s the first man who picked me up,” she said upon seeing the face of Robert Hannibal, the San Diego Intelligence Officer who was fired two years prior for involvement with prostitution. Steed immediately called Black and requested he take a polygraph, which he initially agreed to. But minutes before the test was set to start, Black left the room and refused to come back.

Steed has never verbally accused any specific San Diego officer of Donna’s murder. But he has pointed out that this was far from the average “prostitute murder”. Most of the murdered prostitutes in the area were either left posed in suggestive positions in public areas or haphazardly thrown from vehicles onto the side of the road. Donna’s crime scene was different. She was hidden, tucked under foliage in a ravine far outside of the city. No souvenirs were taken, something else that distanced her case from most of the others. No fingerprints were reported to have been found, which made their job harder as prints were how several of the other San Diego murders were eventually solved. Additionally, her dress was cut off with a quick and clean slice from bottom to top. Typically, the local prostitute murders occurred during or after the sex acts when victims were already naked. The very few times Steed had seen other homicide victims with clothes cut off of them, there was a clear struggle taking place which caused the cuts to be jagged, messy, jutting in multiple directions, and usually nicking the woman’s skin in multiple places since she was moving during the killer’s cuts. No such struggle was noted in Donna’s case, just one quick and easy slice that didn’t stop or touch her skin whatsoever – leading Steed to believe she was already dead when the dress was removed from her body solely for the purpose of staging the crime scene – indicating that the motive for her murder was not sexual in nature and only meant to look like it was. Steed was especially interested in the meticulous way that the tire tracks and footprints were obscured. He could see vague outlines of where the vehicle pulled up to ditch her body. But there were no precise, identifiable tracks. It appeared that after the body was put into place, the car was driven back to the paved road, off of the impressionable dirt/mud, and parked there while the perpetrators returned to the scene on foot. They then used branches, leaves, and brush to obscure all of the tire tracks – stopping every few steps and doing the same to their foot prints as well. They carefully filled in every print and track from the body to the highway, then presumably fled in their vehicle. In summation, this crime was committed by someone who knew exactly what detectives would look for.

What I find to be the most compelling thing about Donna’s murder is that she effectively provided testimony from the grave. In the course of their investigation, detectives found multiple documents that showed she anticipated her life would end soon. Among the most damning was a letter she had handwritten to her cousin in mid-1985 while briefly incarcerated for her solicitation charges. It was written on labeled Las Colinas County Jail stationary. “I reported the patrolmen for sexually harassing me,” she wrote, “My life is in danger when I get out. The cops are waiting for me”. Her brother also came forward to present detectives with additional written correspondences from the same time period in which Donna again expressed fear for her life due to speaking out against the San Diego PD. One document even showed Donna begging to remain incarcerated after her sentencing was completed because she believed the police officers were lying in wait and would harm her the second she left the secure confines of the jail. Donna’s lawyer Douglas Holbrook soon came forward with an even bigger bombshell. He said that a few weeks before her death, she handed him an audio cassette tape and told him to play it for the media if anything ever happened to her. Steed put the cassette into a player and it was indeed Donna’s voice eerily forewarning the listeners of her eventual murder. “In case I disappear somewhere or go missing, I want my lawyer to give this to the press,” Donna began. “I have no intention of disappearing or going out of town without letting my lawyer know first. Because of the publicity that I have given a police scandal, this is the reason why I’m making this… I feel someone in a uniform with a badge can still be a serious criminal… This is the only life insurance that I have.”

Detectives and relatives often point to the key detail that Donna, after writing that she knew she was in danger for opening her mouth, was found aspirated on gravel. This is not something typically seen in the average prostitute murder and many believe it indicates that whoever forcibly tamped the rocks into her mouth had done so as punishment for her speaking out against them.

Another detail that was overlooked – and seemingly irrelevant at the time – was a piece of paper found in Donna’s things at the murder scene. Written across the paper scrap was a phone number belonging to a woman named Cynthia Maine.

Cynthia Maine

Donna’s friend Cynthia Maine – or “Cindy” as her family called her – was a local girl living a similar lifestyle. Growing up, she was a heavy set child with very low self esteem that carried on into adulthood. Steve Smith, her first real love, was an addict during their relationship and eventually involved Cindy in his drug use since she was the main provider in the house and he needed her money to support his habit. Pretty soon both of them were addicts and Steve was encouraging Cindy to engage in sexwork in order to raise money. Even after giving birth to their son Marky, Steve continued pimping her out on the San Diego streets. After tiring of this cycle and moving home to her mother’s with baby Marky, she planned to get her life back together but ultimately returned to the streets soon after.

On July 2nd 1984, Cindy was arrested by Officer John Fung for “suspicion of being under the influence”. She was then given the typical ultimatum: leniency if she’d flip, hard time if she didn’t. She chose the former and began informing on all of the dealers she knew in the area and wearing a wire at drug buys. She had halted her own drug use around this time, proudly keeping track of every day of “clean time” in her journal.

It was about a month after this arrest that Cynthia first read about the murder of her close friend Donna Gentile. Her mother remembers her sobbing over the newspaper.

Throughout that month, her relationship with Officer John Fung evolved. Cindy had a certain respect for law enforcement officers because her own father was once a member of the San Diego PD. Many of her prior customers on the street were police officers as well, but Fung seemed different than the rest. She believed their bond was something deep and special. Cindy introduced Fung to her sister on one occasion and to her mother countless times as he arrived at their home on a daily basis and often came in for coffee. Her mother remembers Fung leaving love letters and sweet notes on their front door addressed to Cindy. Cindy’s journal details the one month anniversary of when they met, talks about her making him chocolate covered strawberries and other baked goods, and references their sexual relationship. Much like Donna’s relationship with Black, Cindy believed Fung truly wanted to help reform her and take care of her. She even credited him as her main inspiration to stay clean and sober.

In September of that year, Cindy was sentenced to several months in Las Colinas County Jail (the same jail Donna Gentile spent time in) for a check fraud scheme she was previously involved in. She was originally sentenced to about four months but in November, halfway into her sentence, she was approached with a deal from some detectives who were seemingly investigating police misconduct (possibly related to Gentile’s death, but I am not certain about this as I have yet to see any further details on what investigation her intel was needed for). They pressured her to answer their questions, promising that she could immediately go home to her young son if she did. She agreed and provided the officers with honest answers, admitting that several members of the police force were clients of hers when she was doing sexwork, that some of them harassed and extorted the girls, and that she was romantically involved with one of them. Like Donna, she provided all of the names she knew and agreed to testify in civil hearings or court if needed. In exchange, she was sent home with her family right after, two months before schedule.

She was glad to be home with her child, but she couldn’t stop second guessing her actions and wondering if she had made a mistake. In the following weeks and months, she mentioned to her mother and sister that she was very fearful of retaliation from the police officers she informed IAB about. Both of them downplayed her fears because they were a police family themselves and couldn’t imagine an officer harming innocent people. Then, on February 21 1985, mere months after she provided intel on the officers, Cindy left young Marky in the care of her mother while she went out for a movie. She never returned.

She was reported missing five days later on February 26th, but the police had no interest. “We don’t actively look for these kinds of people.” they told her mother Lynda. So her family began searching for her on their own. They drove up and down the San Diego streets searching for any sign of Cindy, her car, or her possessions. They called Officer John Fung but he told them he had no idea where she was and to stop bothering him. When they pointed out to the police department that Fung would be the most likely person to have helpful information since he spent more time with her than anyone else they knew, Fung refuted it and claimed he barely knew her and she was just another hooker informant. He admitted showing her kindness, but said that was just because he was a kind person in general, not because he had any specific liking for her. He then refused to answer any calls or letters from the family.

Again, unlike the typical behavior of the prostitute thrill killers in the area, Cindy was not found thrown out of a vehicle on the side of the road, disposed of in a dumpster, or posed in open spaces for others to find. Like her friend Donna – the other outlier in the string of murders – Cindy was well hidden, this time even better than Donna was considering Cindy’s remains still have yet to be located. It’s believed that much like in Donna’s case, Cindy’s murderer seemed to know what they were doing.

Six weeks after Cindy’s disappearance, her mother Lynda finally found her car in the parking lot of a restaurant in La Mesa. She pleaded with the police to check it for prints or blood, but they refused. “Look it lady,” one officer told her, “There’s blacks and whites, and then there’s prostitutes.” She realized then that there was nothing she could ever say or do to get this police department to see her daughter as a human being worth looking for.


When police refused to help look for Cindy, her sister and mother had gone to the local newspapers to express their frustration and journalists were quite interested in all of the connections. After all, Donna and Cindy were good friends. They both were prostitutes-turned-informants with close relationships to members of the local police department, who denied the connections after. Cindy’s disappearance and Donna’s murder occurred just seven months apart, right after both left jail and provided incriminating information about officers. The officers implicated by the tipster in Donna’s case were one man personally involved with Donna and one man who was a known criminal that had lost his badge after illegal activity with prostitutes. The officers trying to shoo away both cases were deeply involved with the suspects. It was a perfect storm of sex, drama, corruption, and crime – so the headlines wrote themselves.

After taking some heat from the press, it was decided that the cases of Donna and Cindy – along with the other 40+ missing and murdered women – warranted a second look. So, the Metropolitan Homicide Task Force, “MHTF” as they called it, was started. MHTF would be split into two branches, the Serial Killings Unit and the Police Corruption Unit, with four officers assigned to each. Detective Steed from the San Diego Sheriff Dept was uncomfortable handing over the Gentile case to the new task force, citing his distrust with the SD PD, so he was brought in as well and assigned to the Police Corruption Unit. The only problem was that the man in charge of that unit was none other than Sergeant Harold Goudarzi, the former Internal Affairs supervisor who had previously refused to help Steed’s investigation due to his dislike for Donna Gentile and his close friendships with Avrech, Black, and the others. Steed quickly realized that the mission of MHTF was just to look good to the public and not to actually track police misconduct. When he continued looking into officers involved with Donna and Cindy, he was fired from the MHTF by Goudarzi for being a “maverick who was out of control”.

After a Roladex belonging to callgirl madam Karen Wilkening was found, it was discovered that Vice officers had removed the names of several members of law enforcement before it was entered into evidence. Because of this, the investigation was moved away from San Diego PD and placed into the hands of the San Diego District Attorney, who convened a grand jury on the allegations of police corruption. There were some links between the Wilkening case and the San Diego Prostitute Murders (including evidence that members of MHTF were listed in the Roladex, and that Donna Gentile herself had worked several parties thrown by Wilkening), so the MHTF was disbanded and the Prostitute Murders (including Donna and Cindy) were also handed over to the DA’s office.

The DA would go on to investigate and discipline several members of San Diego law enforcement. Detective Chuck Arnold and his former partner John Lusardi (who was on the MHTF) received suspensions for previously ordering prostitutes from Wilkening for Lusardi’s bachelor party. Former police chief Bill Kolender was also investigated for allegedly being a client of Wilkening. Sergeant Alfonso Salvatierra was investigated after sexually explicit photos of both Donna and Cindy were found in his locker at work. Eventually, Sergeant Harold Goudarzi himself would be suspended for having a sexual relationship with Denise Loche, a prostitute who acted at as informant for the Donna Gentile case.

No criminal charges were ever filed against any of the men involved, despite the grand jury all agreeing that there were serious problems with corruption in the city’s law enforcement.

Donna and Cindy’s murders still remain unsolved. While for decades after, officers continued trying to sweep them under the rug as most likely being the victims of typical prostitute thrill killers like Ronald Elliot Porter and Blake Raymond Taylor, their families – and most locals – still believe that San Diego Police Officers got away with murder.

Photos of the individuals involved: https://imgur.com/a/HnJa9On

A source link: https://apnews.com/article/9c3a112a6ed8e128c2018ddf169b3a41

Thanks for reading all of this and for caring about these women who have been ignored for so long. I’d be super interested in hearing your thoughts on this case.

Update: Since writing this, I started looking up the cops involved on Facebook and BeenVerified just to see if they’re still around. I found John Fung and he appears to have a normal life. Larry Avrech’s Facebook page was far more surprising. His whole Facebook page is about Donna, he has even written a book in which he claims all of her allegations were lies and Lt Black was the only criminal. He claims to know who killed her now and wants to expose him in the book. I don’t know what to think about it, I tend to believe he did everything he was accused of because Donna had no real reason to lie and endanger herself for no reason. That said, I do not believe he killed her (he would have done so before she testified against him, not after. And he wasn’t mentioned by the tipster who heard the planning). I’m interested to hear who he thinks did it. I definitely buy into the Black/Hannibal theory, I wonder if he does too. I bought an e-copy and will update y’all as I read.



Sort by: